CMS or Content Management System is a software with a set of processes and technologies which supports editing, managing and publishing the content in any medium.
Content Management System allows managing the content easily by controlling and automating significant features of content lifecycle.
Content Management System practices vary by their organizational structures. E-commerce websites, new organizations and educational institutes use CMS but in different ways. This leads to the difference in terminology and process.
For example in a multi-author website, content is created by one or more authors and it may be edited by them sometimes after publishing. The website administrator may or may not give access to edit the publishing content or simply can grant the access rights to one or more individuals for certain content. In some cases, they may give access to edit but not have rights to publish and delete the content.
CMS often consist of following roles and responsibilities:
- Administrator: who has access to all admin features and responsible for managing the access permissions to files and folders by assigning the rights to other users.
- Contributor: having access to create and edit their own content but cannot publish them.
- Editor: somebody who can publish and manage the content including other.
- Viewer: only able to see the content.
Content Management System is a set of automated processes that support the following features.
- Ability to assign the roles and responsibilities
- Identifying the other user roles
- Importing and creation of documents
- Track and manage multiple versions of a content
- Personalize the content based on set of rules
- Ability to publish the content
WordPress started as a blogging platform but evolved to be used as rich content management system from a simple blog to massive e-commerce website. WordPress is an open source free software which allows you to create a fully functional website and mobile applications.
WordPress Content Management System allows user to have full control on their website and they can do and design anything as they imagine without having any coding knowledge.
WordPress offers a lot of themes, plug-ins and gadgets to customize your website to make it very powerful, well designed and SEO friendly. WordPress lets you create single user websites to multiple user websites managed by an administrator.
If you’ve any questions, feel free to contact me and share this post with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Google +.